8 Reasons Why Our Tracker is Classic
1. Classic Car Electrics – The Classic Tracker is intentionally configured for classic vehicle electrical systems. When a classic car is started (sometimes after a significant dormant period), the battery will be at its most challenged. Whilst cranking the engine from cold, the terminal voltage of a classic car battery will drop from a healthy 12-14V potential, to anywhere below 6-8V. With a general-purpose tracker, this voltage drop will be recognised as an external power issue. The Classic Tracker has this threshold set to a lower level, thereby avoiding false alarms. However, in the event the classic car battery is removed entirely, the Classic Tracker has an internal battery which maintains power to the device and a alert is sent.
2. 48 of 52 Week Annual Protection – For whatever reason, many classic cars are rarely driven. This can be as little as four weeks of driving time per annum. The Classic Tracker therefore aims to reduce power consumption burden by entering a GPS-sleep mode whenever the ignition is switched off. During this mode, power consumption is as low as 10mA. Whenever the vehicle is moved with ignition switched off, the GPS is brought out of sleep mode, ready to report on its location in the event of any spurious activity. This aligns well with solar-battery conditioners used by classic car owners in the winter, which generally provide a minimum of 150mA. Therefore, the Classic Trackers consumption-budget is well beneath 10% of this available value.
3. SafeZone & Auto Geofences – We prepare each Classic Tracker to send an alert whenever the vehicle leaves a nominated location – which we call a SafeZone. This is normally where the classic car is parked overnight. In addition, the Classic Tracker uses an auto-geofence feature which protects your classic, even when it’s away from home. Whenever and wherever you park-up, the Classic Tracker will remember its location. If the vehicle fitted with a Classic Tracker is moved whilst the ignition is off, it will immediately send the owner an alert. We call this a towing-alarm. So, protection at both home and anywhere within UK and Europe.
4. Simplified Self-Installation – As classic car owners ourselves, we were never entertained by the notion of a third-party arrive to rush an installation within his allocated 60min installation window; and in particular on a vehicle which has not only survived several tens of years, but also had the careful attention administered by a classic car owner. In support of this, we have reduced the installation of the Classic Tracker down to a simple three-wire installation. Our recommendation is that a classic car owner either installs at his leisure, or appoints a trusted vehicle electrician. A typical installation is between 30-60 mins. We know this is true, as we can see installation guides downloaded from our site, then see the tracker coming on-line on our backend systems!
5. Additional Functionality & Control – Whereas our full tracking service is enabled simply by our simple three-wire installation, each of our three-variants of tracker support the implementation of additional control. For example, with either of the available digital outputs available on the standard supplied wiring loom, an external relay could be configured to cut the connection to an electric fuel pump. With this use-case, controlled from either the companion mobile app or the web-interface, the classic car owner can further disable a would-be thief in the event a vehicle is stolen. Further to this, we are presently testing a new feature which would sound a vehicle alarm/horn when a potential thief presents a GSM signal-jammer to the vehicle fitted with a Classic Tracker.
6. Solid & Robust Solution – There are three key components in our Classic Tracker solution; tracker, connectivity and back-end (web & app). We went to great lengths in our evaluation of the numerous options available to our business. We selected an EU manufacturer of our trackers – which as a result enable us to warrant for five years. They offer a broader set of functions, are more robust and more configurable for a classic car, particularly when compared to SE Asian manufactured & lower-cost devices.
Each of our trackers contain a SIM card which the data-connection to our backend systems. Our chosen SIMs differ as they connect to any available network operator in Europe. Most SIMs connect to either the primary/home network or a secondary partner-network operator. Having multi-operator availability means we are able to maintain a better and more reliable data connection, thereby offering a greater level of protection for the classic-car owner. Furthermore, we continue to evolve our solution, as evidenced by our forthcoming anti-jamming feature.
7. Multiple Variants of Classic Tracker – We believe our Classic Tracker is functionally suitable for the entire span of the 20th Century. In appreciation of older 6V and positive earth systems, we provide a 6-24V, waterproof (IP67 rated) variant for vintage car owners – again with the same three-wire installation philosophy. The greater-majority of our customers take our standard WIRED device, though for more recent classic cars which feature a standard On-Board-Diagnostics (OBD-II or OBD2) port, we offer a pluggable version of the Classic Tracker available. Each variant is configured for best-protection use-case in a classic vehicle and is offered at the same price.
8. Cost Effective, but not functionally compromised – We believe that our price is exceptionally competitive. When one considers the available options, and makes a comparison of the features described above, the prospective buyer will soon realise that Classic Tracker is priced well beneath that of our competitors, yet with classic car focussed usage.